Working from home is normal. It's natrual and most people even if they go to a physical office, still work when they are back at home.
For remote workers who work from home the enterprise is very different. I thought I would post a few items that are on my mind.
- When you are a remote knowledge worker that is home based, You are always at work.
- I seldom take regular showers.
- Turning on the skype camera can be a career killer.
- Conference calls in the nude are allowed.
- Dogs barking while you are on a conference call IS normal in 2011, don't apologize for it.
- Twitter becomes the extended cube visits you don’t get to be a part of.
- Our version of lunch with coworkers is watching youtube or catching up on blogs we like.
- If you ask me, Do you have time, and I say sure, it doesn’t mean, I have nothing to do, it means you are important enough for me to move that period of time around to meet with you.
- When I come to the office to visit, seriously, I’m there to visit and not work.
- When possible, call me, don’t email. I really need to hear other people’s voices.